Savory Mexican Cheesecake
Yield: one 6 inch cake
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
1/3 cup Refried beans
1/4 cup Bread crumbs
14 ounces Cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup Herdez salsa casera **, strained
2 Green onion
1/2 teaspoon Cumin, ground
1/4 cup Sour cream or low fat yogurt
4 ounces Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven at 300 degrees. Grease a 6 inch cake pan. Cover the outside
bottom with foil.
- Mix together the beans and the breadcrumbs. Press them in the bottom of
- Beat the cream cheese until soft. Add the egg; mix until completely
incorporated. Combine the salsa, onion, cumin and sour cream. Fold by hand
the salsa mixture and the cheese into the cream cheese. Transfer into cake
- Prepare a Bain Marie. Take a sheet pan at leas 2 inch deep, place the cake
in the pan and place it in oven, fill the sheet pan with hot water.
- Cover the cake loosely with foil. Bake for about 40 minutes, then uncover
and cook for another 10 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the
center comes out clean.
- Turn off oven and leave the door slightly open, let the cake sit inside
for 10 more minutes. Then take out of the oven.
- Let it cool to room temperature, refrigerate at least 2 hours. Serve with
** Herdez salsa casera, a traditional Mexican blend of diced tomatoes,
onions, cilantro and serrano peppers, this very hot salsa is readily kept in the
refrigerator. If you like hot and spicy food, serve as a complement to any meal
or eat it as a snack with tortilla chips.