5 tsp Cinnamon
3 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
1 lbs Sweet butter; melted
1 lbs Phyllo pastry sheets
40 whole cloves (optional)
2 1/2 cups water
3 cups sugar
Orange peel, cut into one 2-inch strip
Lemon Peel, cut into one 2-inch strip
1 cinnamon stick
1/3 cup honey
1/2 lemon; juiced
1. In a medium bowl, mix the cinnamon and walnuts together.
2. Brush the bottom of a 14" x 20" baking dish with the butter.Place one pastry
sheet in the dish and brush it with the butter. Repeat this process so that 6 pastry
sheets line the bottom of the dish.
3. Sprinkle 1/3 of the nut mixture over the top of the pastry sheets. Repeat this process
so that there are 3 layers of the nut mixture and 4 layers of 6 buttered pastry sheets,
ending with 6 pastry sheets.
4. Cut the baklava into 40 diamond shaped pieces. Insert a whole clove in the top of each
5. Preheat the oven to 350F. Bake the baklava for 40 minutes, or until it is golden brown.
In a medium saucepan place the sugar, water, orange peel, lemon peel, and cinnamon stick.
Bring the ingredients to a boil and then simmer them for 5 minutes.
6. Add the honey and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and add the
lemon juice. Stir the ingredients together and then let the syrup cool. Remove the orange
and lemon peels, and the cinnamon stick.
7. Spread the cool syrup over the hot baklava. Cover the dish with a towel and let it sit
for 1 hour before serving.
recipes, browse recipes, or see today's
Send mail to PastryWiz
with comments about this web site.
Recipe Disclaimer - Measurements Help
- Sugar Substitution Chart